You know when in science fiction movies there is a clear point when you enter an alien world? There is usually some sort of dramatic transition, but it is abundantly clear that you are 'no longer in Kansas...'. Well, this afternoon we drove from the hotel, through very busy streets (shared by cars, trucks, bikes and people), through downtown, past the University, turned left down a side road, then left again and off the pavement (transition) immediately into the slums. It is a fairly narrow section of town (this slum) between the University and some hotels, etc., but it may as well have been on another planet.
The 'main' 'street' of the slum from both directions:

I found it hard to believe an auto or SUV would even fit or be able to traverse the 1 1/2 to 2 foot or more, dips, bumps, drainage trenches, etc., let alone not run over something or someone.

I found it hard to believe an auto or SUV would even fit or be able to traverse the 1 1/2 to 2 foot or more, dips, bumps, drainage trenches, etc., let alone not run over something or someone.
We first toured the clinic. Here are four shots:
the doctor's exam room
the 'ward' (a mom with her two kids, the one on the left has Typhoid, the one on the right Malaria)
the 'lab',
Through the back door is a boys home (more on that later) and the primary school (babies, then levels that roughly equate to our K - 8)
Here is a shot of the school's 'Pit' toilet.
We then moved to the other end of the slum to where Pastor Nelson has a small office, and the church grounds and the high school are located. this is a high shot of the church area; You can see the foundation and partial walls for the future church building (yes, quite large):

The structure (roof) on the right is where the church currently meets. The orange shipping container is the 'base' for the street kids (more later also).
A while ago, Grace Fellowship started feeding and offering a weekly shower to true street kids. Volunteers that were working with these kids eventually found their way to the location as well and it has turned into a real program. Now Grace tries to feed the kids 4-5 times a week if possible, give them literacy classes, language and hygiene/health classes. There are on average 40-50 kids who hang around during the day (this picture was late afternoon on a Friday and many had taken off, many to return later), and sleep on the concrete floor of the covered area during the night.

Grace Fellowship and the volunteers do offer other activities like bead stringing that can be sold for a few dollars (look to see Mike and I sporting them when we return). Here a little guy ties a bead necklace on Josh, a street kid volunteer and an intern at an EMI (Engineering Ministries) branch office located in a suburb of Kampala. By the way, Ryan's professor that I mentioned in an earlier blog has been on the board of EMI and still consults with them.
The street kids are offered a cubby in the container to store their entire earthly possessions.

Here is a shot of one of the high school classrooms. (more on the high school later also).

Along the back of the property runs a stream/drain. Just before I took the second picture below, a boy took a shower in the water from the broken pipe.

On a final note for this entry, after seeing the conditions people here live in every day, I was struck by how nearly every child we encountered either ran up and shook our hand, wanted their picture taken (and to see it and laugh), and I don't recall anyone not breaking out into a huge, beautiful smile at some point. If you have been tempted to tie riches to happiness, or joy, or contentment,.... you should come here for even an afternoon and you will encounter something extraordinary. Having someone care for them, feed them, help them, share the hope of the gospel with them has put a smile on their face in the middle of abject poverty.

It is amazing to me that while I walked away this afternoon overwhelmed by the circumstances, and I am still trying to absorb it, I also walked away with my spirit lifted by people who have so little, yet show more joy than I encounter in most people back in 'our world'. I look forward to going back over the next few days.






wow dad, this is AMAZING. Very Very mooving. Keep it up I love you.
ReplyDelete