So, never having done this, I thought blogging would be a good way to share my thoughts and experiences as I prepare and travel to Uganda. I will try to keep it updated with thoughts, descriptions and pictures.
This is a deeply personal journey for me. I have always resisted calls for help, donations, support, etc. based on pleas that play on my sympathy. I understand that the need it real and is overwhelming in so many places, but I guess I have a keenly developed resistance to being 'guilted'.
As background, this trip came about by a chance (don't think so) meeting with Pastor Hosea Nelson Kyasooka. My friend Mike had traveled to Africa and one of his stops was Grace Fellowship in Kampala. Pastor Nelson was recently in the US visiting supporting churches and happened to accompany Mike to breakfast the same morning I accompanied my son Ryan to the same breakfast. Pastor Nelson shared his story, his work in Kampala, his ministry, etc. I asked question after question and was deeply moved by what I heard. To make a long story short (maybe I will include additional details as I share more), one thing led to another and I am choosing to travel to Uganda (with Mike) to experience and understand the needs and opportunities and where I might be able to help.
I have two primary focuses this trip. First, in addition to just experiencing and understanding the situation first hand, I would like to photograph and videograph? everything I can. I am working on a web site to share the story. If it results in prayer support, financial support, more people getting involved, or whatever, great! But my goal is to share what I see, and so far, I see someone in Nelson (I am sure I will meet many more) that has made a tremendous impact with the children of the Kampala slums. It is a story of hope and purpose, and as difficult as circumstances and challenges are in this area, there are clearly a large number of kids that have been saved on one form or another through this ministry. Secondly, I am particularly drawn to the health care need of these kids. The idea that 'kids die of curable diseases here' as Nelson put it, is overwhelming to me. If there is something that I can do, either coordinate getting equipment and material to them, building a clinic, whatever, I would like to understand what it would really take to do it. I had the opportunity to meet with one of Ryan's professors who also has been involved in building clinics and hospitals all over Africa and he gave me some great advice and a list of things to look for, or check out while I am there.
So, for now, there you have it. Scary and exciting, nervous and anticipating, .... I will try to keep you informed.
Jeff
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wish I could come so bad!!! It's so cool to see this passion take off in you dad, your such an encouragement to me. I love you! Dont get sick over there...
ReplyDeleteThanks Ry, it is an encouragement to me to see that you care that it is an encouragement...ok, well you get the idea. And i wish you were coming, but no worries, I suspect we will have more opportunities... And no worries on the sick thing. Passed all my tests at the doc today, got shots, pills, all sorts of goodies!
ReplyDeleteDad Brown!!!!! So excited for you!! When Bets said you were going to Uganda I assumed some work thing (and thought "Uganda...wierd"!) Can't wait to hear what the Lord is going to do with you and to hear all the stories. Praying for you.... Lmk specifics for prayer. Love you! Zoe :) xx
ReplyDelete